How to Add Footnotes in Google Docs
This post explains how to add footnotes to Google Docs (online and mobile versions) semi-manually by having Google Docs provide you with the number and space for writing the footnote, or you can have it automatically insert it with the appropriate formatting (MLA, APA, or Chicago).
How to Add a Footnote in Google Docs
Without filling up the body text, footnotes offer supplementary information on a specific section of the text, such as a citation or additional information.
If you want full control over the contents of the note, you may also use the Insert option on the desktop website.
- Place the cursor where you want to add the footnote.
- Click on the “Insert” menu at the top of the screen.
- Select “Footnote” from the drop-down menu.
- A small number will be added to the text, and a corresponding number will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Type the footnote text in the space provided at the bottom of the page.
- To return to the main text, click on the number in the footnote.
Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+Alt+F” (Windows) or “Command+Option+F” (Mac) to add a footnote.
How to Add a Properly Formatted Footnote
To add a properly formatted footnote in a word processing document, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, you can use the built-in footnote feature. Here are the steps:
- Place your cursor at the end of the sentence or word where you want to add the footnote.
- Go to the “References” tab in the ribbon menu.
- Click on the “Insert Footnote” button.
- A number or symbol will be inserted at the end of the sentence and a corresponding number or symbol will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Type the text of your footnote in the space provided at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for any additional footnotes you want to add.
Note that the formatting of the footnote can be adjusted by going to the “References” tab and selecting “Footnote Separator” or “Footnote Continuation Separator” under the “Footnotes” group. You can also change the location of the footnotes by going to the “Layout” tab, and selecting “Page Layout” under the “Page Setup” group.
How to Install Citation Apps
To install a citation app, you will need to follow these steps:
- Search for the citation app you want to install in your app store (Google Play Store or App Store)
- Tap on the app to open its page
- Tap the “Install” or “Download” button to begin the installation process
- Once the app is installed, you will be able to open it from your device’s home screen or app drawer
Note: Before installing an app, it’s a good idea to check the app’s reviews and ratings, as well as its permissions to ensure that it is legitimate and safe to use.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)