How to Unfriend and Unfollow People on Facebook
Numerous valid reasons exist for severing online ties with Facebook friends.
Perhaps your sister-in-law will not stop posting images of her dog, or your cousin will not stop posting political rants. Or perhaps you recently ended a relationship and would prefer not to see your ex on the dating scene.
In many situations, a fast scan of your “friends” list will reveal dozens of people you hardly know and with whom you have no reason to maintain contact.
It is none of my business why you want to unfriend, unfollow, or block a Facebook friend; fortunately, the actual unfriending process is far simpler than the intricate interpersonal concerns that motivate you to do so.
Unfriend someone on Facebook in just two clicks
To remove a Facebook friend, take these steps:
- Go to the person’s profile by clicking on their name in your news feed or by searching for their name in the search bar.
- Once you are on the person’s profile, click on the “Friends” button, which is located near the top of the page under their profile picture.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on “Unfriend.”
- A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm that you want to unfriend the person. Click “Confirm” to unfriend them.
That’s it! You have now unfriended the person in just two clicks. Please note that unfriending someone on Facebook will remove them from your friends list, and they will no longer be able to see your posts or interact with you on the platform.
Unfollow someone on Facebook
You automatically “Follow” all of your Facebook friends, and you can also “Follow” other pages, such as that of an artist or company, even if you are not friends with them. The posts of anyone you follow can appear in your news feed and are frequently the cause of your desire to unfollow in the first place.
Consider instead not following the individual anymore.
- Open the Facebook app on your device and log in to your account.
- Go to your News Feed by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Find the person you want to unfollow in your News Feed. If you don’t see them right away, you may need to scroll down or use the search function to find them.
- Tap on their name to go to their profile.
- Tap the “Following” button.
- A pop-up window will appear with the option to “Unfollow” the person. Tap “Unfollow” to stop seeing their posts in your News Feed.
Keep in mind that unfollowing someone on Facebook will not delete them from your friend list or block them from your account. You will still be able to see their profile and interact with them on Facebook, but you will not see their posts in your News Feed unless you visit their profile directly.
Block someone on Facebook
To block someone on Facebook:
- Go to the profile of the person you want to block.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner of their cover photo.
- Select “Block” from the dropdown menu.
- Click “Confirm” to block the person.
Once you block someone, they will not be able to see your profile, send you friend requests, or message you. You will also be removed from their friends list, if you were previously friends. Please note that blocking someone will not automatically remove you from any groups, pages, or events that you are both a member of. You will need to leave those groups or pages separately.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)