This article describes how to create a link to a specific portion of a YouTube video using the Share function or a timestamp. These steps only apply to desktop users. Every browser is supported.
Create a YouTube Link With a Timestamp Using the Share Feature
To create a YouTube link with a timestamp using the share feature, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the YouTube video that you want to share.
- Click on the “Share” button located under the video.
- In the “Start at” field, enter the desired timestamp in the format “hh:mm:ss” (for example, “01:23:45” for 1 hour, 23 minutes, and 45 seconds into the video).
- Click on the “Copy” button to copy the link to your clipboard.
- You can now paste the link anywhere you want to share the video with the specified timestamp.
Note: If you want to share a link to a specific point in the video, you can also use the “Link” option in the share menu to create a shorter URL that starts at the desired timestamp. To do this, click on the “Link” button, then click on the timestamp displayed under the video to set the starting point. The link will be updated with the new timestamp, and you can copy it to your clipboard by clicking the “Copy” button.
Manually Add a Timestamp to a YouTube URL
You can add a timestamp to a YouTube URL by adding “#t=XmYs” to the end of the URL, where X is the number of minutes and Y is the number of seconds. For example, if you want to start a video at 1 minute and 30 seconds, you would add “#t=1m30s” to the end of the URL.
Here’s an example:
Original URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abc123
URL with timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abc123#t=1m30s
Note that the timestamp will only work if it is added to the end of the URL after the video ID (the part of the URL that comes after “v=”).