This article describes how to semi-manually add footnotes to Google Docs (online and mobile versions) by having Google Docs provide the number and space for writing the footnote, or automatically insert it with the necessary formatting style (MLA, APA, or Chicago).
How to Add a Footnote in Google Docs
To add a footnote in Google Docs, follow these steps:
- Place your cursor where you want the footnote to appear.
- Click the “Insert” menu at the top of the screen.
- Select “Footnote” from the dropdown menu.
- Type your footnote text in the small pop-up window that appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Press “Enter” or click “OK” to add the footnote to your document.
- You can find the number of the footnote in the main text and the text of the footnote at the bottom of the page.
- You can also click on the number of the footnote to jump to the footnote text and click the number again to jump back to where you were in the main text
How to Add a Properly Formatted Footnote
To add a properly formatted footnote in a document, you can follow these steps:
- Identify the word or phrase in the main text that you want to cite or provide additional information for.
- Place your cursor at the end of the word or phrase and click the “Insert” button on the top toolbar.
- Select “Footnote” from the drop-down menu. This will insert a superscript number at the end of the word or phrase and create a corresponding reference at the bottom of the page.
- Type the information you want to include in the footnote in the reference area at the bottom of the page.
- Format the footnote using the appropriate style for your document, such as MLA or APA.
- Repeat the process for any additional footnotes in your document.
Note: The steps may vary depending on the word processor you are using.
How to Install Citation Apps
There are many citation apps available, and the installation process will vary depending on the specific app and the device you are using. Here are some general steps to follow when installing a citation app:
- Search for the app in the app store or marketplace for your device (e.g., the App Store for iOS devices, Google Play for Android devices).
- Select the app and click the “Install” or “Download” button.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your device.
- Once the installation is complete, open the app and follow any prompts to set it up or create an account.
- Start using the app to create and manage your citations!
Note: Some apps may require additional steps, such as purchasing a subscription or setting up an account with a specific organization or institution. Make sure to read the app’s description and reviews before installing it to ensure that it meets your needs and will work on your device.
You must log in to post a comment.